Monday, August 25, 2008

Preamble

Since 2000, 16 of the top 20 prime time network telecasts have been sporting events, dominated by the Super Bowl, of course, with some Olympics thrown in. A couple of Academy Awards snuck in, which is fine by me, because I love the movies (my favorites being Bull Durham and Jerry Maguire). As you might expect, the Super Bowl dominates the list, and even with some pretty good games over the past several years, the highlights of the game for most folks come during the commercial breaks.

So we like sports, and we like advertising (both can also be very profitable, which a lot of people like, too), and we love talking about both.

Duh.

I’ll spend no more time pointing out the obvious. A first posting has to have some kind of setup, right? Let’s move on.

I’ve been incredibly fortunate to combine my professional loves, sports and making film, into a career. I made Gatorade commercials for 15 years, so I know a little about sports and advertising, but I also know that there’s seldom one right answer when it comes to this stuff. But it sure is fun to talk about. Hence, the need for sportstalk radio.

I have a burning desire to be involved with sports however and whenever possible: playing, talking, writing about, watching, listening (although I do draw the line at calling in to sportstalk radio). So a blog on sports and advertising seemed like a good idea.

And away we go.

No comments: