Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Superstars in Underpants



I didn’t know whether to laugh or wince when I saw this. So I did both.

OK, I admit it: It’s funny. The sliding entrances, the gyrating on the couch, the utter lack of rhythm and grace from such talented men…I had to laugh. And so will lots of other people. Millions, even. Everyone loves it on youtube. So it works, right?

For Guitar Hero, yes. For the athletes? No.

I loved Risky Business. Bash Tom Cruise all you want; the movie was a generation definer (“Sometimes, you’ve just got to say ‘What the f*ck.’”) So I appreciated the parody.

But it was made 25 years ago, which makes it a decade older than Guitar Hero’s teen target. So are these megastar athletes being used well? You could say they’re capturing the youth market and showing their silly sides. I’d argue that’s what Saturday Night Live is for.

So much goes into choosing endorsers to represent a brand, because there’s so much at stake. Money, of course, but even more important is the athlete’s brand. How the people who they need to influence perceive them. How they connect to the right target in the right manner.

I’m not sure why Guitar Hero picked these four athletes. I suppose if you have the cash to gather this collection of talent, it would be cool. Good for Guitar Hero.

But for these athletes, just doing something “cool” doesn’t cut it. Doing something that works for them is more important. I could feel Phelps’ discomfort and A-Rod’s forced enjoyment. Kobe, I give credit for going all out. He’s a crazy man out there. But he got to wear longer boxers, so he didn’t look as silly. And I’d much rather see him jump a car. That at least connects to his basketball chops.

When it comes to sports and advertising, how you put athletes and brands together is crucial to both.

That’s why I liked Tony Hawk in this spot. It fits his offbeat sport and character. It fits his brand. And I loved the helmet.

But I still ask, “Why these guys?” Four elite athletes, a young target, an old movie, and the suggestion to “Release your inner rock star.”

If I were their agents, I’d release these guys from their contract with Guitar Hero. Would you?

2 comments:

bsto said...

this is weird. you got a game meant to revive the past and make it cool again, but using the newest gaming products and technologies to do so. then you got a collection of superstars that are either past their peak (phelps, hawk) or a few years away from past their peak (kobe, arod) mimicking a movie that is wayyyyyy past its peak.

i agree with your assessment. throwing cash and starpower at commercials doesn't make them cool.

besides, a-rod and tony hawk are C-level ad names, phelps took whatever he could hold in his huge wingspan after beijing, and the last time tony hawk was near the forefront of my mind was when N64 was still fresh.

i say, take kobe and put him with some people from high school musical. ha.

Sportsattitude said...

This ad caught be totally off guard but I did enjoy it, even if I don't really "get" the mass appeal of the product in question. It was nice to see Kobe letting some of his "ice melt" and act like a regular guy for a change.