Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Old School goes New School

I am not what they call an early adopter, but I like to think I embrace new stuff quicker than the average suburban dude in his 40’s. That said, I can’t help being Old School in many ways. I still hate the DH, I think the skirts (aka shorts) basketball players wear on their bottom halves belong on a Jean Paul Gaultier runway, and it annoys me that the size of some people’s drivers are bigger than Art Donovan’s head.

I like things that have been around for a while and are still really good. James Bond and Sloppy Joes and Iambic Pentameter and wine.

And great product demos, when they’re done well. Not Shamwow well. Tastefully well.

From Tide in the late 80’s to the iphone today, there’s nothing like the power of turning on the camera and showing what a great product can do. A demonstration that convinces you this product does something you really need. Or you really want.

But how do you do great product demos in the exploding world of new media? Here’s one answer.

Thank you, Puma, for focusing on one compelling reason to believe we should buy your shoes, and demonstrating that RTB in a fun, captivating way. It’s very smart. Great use of Usain Bolt (although not as good as Gatorade’s use of him in their Quest spot), and hey, I guess I never really thought a sea urchin would be that heavy. Or that Puma had such cool, light shoes.

You learn something new every day.

No comments: