Wednesday, March 18, 2009

You had me at "Pavement"

Sometimes things that are awesome in small doses don’t translate so well to the longer format. Just ask The Ladies man, Stuart Smalley, Pat, and the guys at the Roxbury.

In that same vein, this new Nike spot is proof that a great print ad doesn’t automatically turn into a great TV ad just by turning on a moving film camera.

As much as I love language, and stand and cheer for smart, inspiring, compelling headlines, I wince when people try to turn a great headline into more than what it is. The headline “The road to State is paved with Pavement” is genius. When you have words that so beautifully nail a strategy, it’s tempting to want to build a campaign around them. To the very talented people at Nike and Weiden, I’d suggest more self-discipline and less self-love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so what does that really mean...the saying makes no sense to me