Saturday, January 17, 2009

LeBron, you funny!

Ha!



Who woulda thunk it? Beast on the court, humorous soft touch off it. That really is amazing.

On the surface, I’m with a lot of fans who love this spot. It shows a side of LeBron that we don’t normally get to see. It’s surprising. And funny.

So on it’s own, it scores. But it’s a continuation of the NBA’s “Amazing Happens” campaign, and needs to be evaluated in that context as well. Here’s one of the spots from last year:



Very different. Very, wonderfully amazing. Makes me interested in the NBA. Makes me want to watch more NBA action.

And more than anything else, it makes me feel that NBA players are uniquely interesting and pretty spectacular and just kind of cooler than those other somewhat inferior professional athletes.

I’m drawn to their personalities in an unexpected way. That’s a pretty hard-working ad.

So when LeBron sings Time After Time, I’m loving it and I like him a whole lot.

But it doesn’t make the NBA feel all that amazing.

No comments: