Thursday, November 6, 2008

Quit your yappin’: Saved by Zero is brilliant

OK, I’ll pile on. But only to disagree with all of the Saved By Zero haters.



No, it’s not a good ad. Not at all. But it’s not all that different from the local auto advertising drivel, much of which consists of the following: cheap graphics, shiny cars, and a somewhat memorable '70’s or ‘80’s song that illustrates the point of the sale...and is affordable.

What’s different about SBZ is how often it has run on very visible programming and how much negative blogging it’s received. Not just one site, but another and another. People must have been saving up their hatred for a while because there’s been boatloads of it heaved at SBZ.

But in one respect, it’s awesome: You remember it.

And that’s a collective You, not just us highly refined ad watchers, but the real people of America who wouldn’t mind some good ole’ zero APR financing.

I’d put SBZ into a very special category of advertising, along The Clapper, Head-On, and our friend Ron Popiel, and hell, let’s throw in Sales Genie. Strictly based on the usually agreed upon purpose of advertising.

Sell stuff.

I’m not saying they’re good ads. They’re terrible ads. But great ads aren’t always effective, and effective ads often suck. And sometimes, legends are made out of ickiness. It just happens.

So whether you meant to get there or not, welcome, SBZ, to greatness.

5 comments:

bsto said...

Maybe--except when the thing is so annoying I'll eschew Toyotas for at least a decade just to make a point.

I mean, I would rather have Sarah Palin with me on Team Jeopardy than press play on the YouTube video right now.

The difference here has to be an EFFECTIVE ad versus a GOOD ad. If there's no difference among "refined ad watchers," fine. But, to compare, making an annoying record with lots of auto-tune just to capitalize on a temporary fad (KANYE YOU FOOL) is not a GOOD plan, it's an EFFECTIVE one.

Danny Schuman said...

Ads should be effective AND good. It's annoying when an ad is terrible and effective. But it happens. On the flip side, terrible ads may sell a lot of stuff, but they don't do anything good for the brand long term.

Fred said...

It is neither effective-Toyota's sales are down 23%-nor good. You remember it because it is in every single pod of every single program of every single medium. It is ubiquitous. With $700MM of media behind a single execution, you'll remember anything. In fact, it is so ubiquitous and bad that: a) I hate Toyota for hammering me over the head with it b) I turn the channel.

Danny Schuman said...

Toyota marketing spokesman Joe Tetherow said, "Whatever the reaction from the public, it has been effective in getting the program's message across. Toyota is even extending the incentive to a 12th vehicle, the subcompact Yaris." The Yaris, Fred, the Yaris!! If that doesn't get you to reconsider Toyota just a little bit, I don't know what will.

jhuff said...

I also saw the backlash to this ad on blogs, but I cannot honestly say I remember seeing it until I saw it on blogs. I usually have the TV on most of the day while I'm doing work, so I found the backlash quite surprising--because I just never noticed it