Saturday, December 20, 2008

G, it should be interesting

I'm extremely close to the Gatorade brand, having written, produced, and creative directed their advertising from 1991-2006. I am unapologetically, emotionally attached to Gatorade. Not only did I savor every minute I spent helping build the brand, I actually believe it works for athletes on the playing field. Really, I do.

So you can safely assume that I'm a bit biased.

And you won't be surprised that I will have an opinion on the massive rebranding effort Gatorade has embarked upon. But not yet. The packaging re-design has been much debated. The new bottles are ready, and are starting to appear on the shelves. But the website hasn't changed (please lord, help it get better).

And the ads haven't appeared yet. They're being done by TBWA/Chiat Day. They're a smart agency with sports minded folks who've done good work in the past. From what I understand, it's all about "G." Cool idea. I won't be surprised if the work is top notch.

Big question will be, will they mess with the tremendous equity that's been so important in connecting the brand to millions of athletes?

Stay tuned.

No comments: